A productive and hygienic workplace is essential for keeping your business running. While general cleaning and tidying are crucial, there are some specific hotspots for workplace germs that will need extra attention. Keeping bacteria to a minimum will keep your workforce happy and healthy.
Lost work hours due to sickness can have a significant impact on any company. A professional office cleaning service or commercial cleaning company will be able to clean everything to a high standard and help reduce office bugs. Here we take a look at some of the most common hotspots for workplace germs.
Anyone who works in an office will know that the majority of their time is spent at a desk. While it may be their most productive space, but it is also one of the most unhygienic spots in the workplace. A desk can have more bacteria than a toilet seat.
Proper cleaning and work habits will help to reduce these germs and make avoiding those pesky office sickness bugs easier. Some top tips for avoiding and preventing desk germs include:
- Wipe the phone with an antibacterial wipe before you start work
- When eating at your desk move the keyboard out of the way so crumbs won’t collect in it
- Wash hands or use sanitiser before eating
- Throw away any food packaging or other rubbish every day
2. Office mug
You may have an office kitchen with a collection of mugs for staff members to use. These coffee cups can harbour bacteria and cold germs. Cups left with coffee or tea remnants in them can become mouldy, and the outside will have bugs from the hands of those using them. There are some things you can do to make sure your work mug is always clean and bug-free:
- If there is a dishwasher, use it to clean all cups
- If there is no dishwasher, use your own mug each day
- Wash up your coffee cup every evening before you leave work
- Wash your water bottle each day as bacteria can build up over time
A staff kitchen with a fridge for storing lunches and snacks is another place that can harbour harmful germs. Not only are a lot of people touching the fridge door, handles, and things inside but food remnants or old food can create mould. If the fridge is not running correctly, the food inside will not be kept at the right temperature and cause bacteria to form. Tips for workplace fridge hygiene include:
- Remove out of date food as soon as possible
- Protect your food by placing it in sealed containers
- Use a thermometer to check the fridge temperature
- Start a routine with staff members to clear out old food and clean the fridge weekly
4. Door handles
Door handles are one of the most touched surfaces in any place and can be the spot where you will pick up sickness bugs and germs. Many sicknesses can be transmitted through touch, and if someone is ill and doesn’t wash their hands after using the bathroom, those germs can spread to door handles and other surfaces. While you can’t always guarantee what everyone else in the workplace does, there are some things you can do to prevent picking up germs from door handles:
- Always wash your hands after using the toilet and avoid touching door handles in bathrooms
- Use a tissue or your elbow to open the door
- Use hand sanitiser before eating. This will prevent any germs you may have picked up on your hands from transferring to your mouth
Keeping a workplace germ-free can be a tough job but with good working habits and the help of a professional cleaning company, you can help reduce workplace bugs. Using an office cleaning company or professionals for commercial cleaning will give you a much cleaner, healthier workspace.
Contact Ace Cleaning Company today for a free evaluation.